Monday, May 20, 2013

First Piece of Furniture: Mid-Century Hutch

Because I knew we would be visiting Portland right after closing on the house, I started looking on Craigslist during the weeks leading up to the trip just in case I found something we couldn't pass up. And I did! 

A hutch was something we agreed early on that we'd need in this house to save space in the kitchen cabinets. Since we've been slowly growing a collection of mid-century furniture, we of course wanted to stick with that style in a hutch. Unfortunately I've seen very few mid-century hutches that I really liked. Most have been made of teak, which I am not a fan of or lighter woods which would not work well with our walnut chairs and fabulous record player/stereo console, which is the highlight of our collection so far. So I was excited to find the most perfect hutch, then ecstatic that it was still available. The woman selling it was super nice and we ended up texting quite a bit. She was sentimental over hearing it was going to be the first piece of furniture in our first house because it had also been her first piece in her and her husband's first house too, so she knew I would love and care for it as she had. We weren't going to be in town for another week and a half, but she removed the ad from Craigslist and held on to it for us. People in Portland are so nice!



In addition to the upper sliding-glass display section which has three shelves, there are two lower cabinets on each side of three center drawers. So much additional space!




Nick 'shopped this picture with a color similar to what we're going to use in the living and dining rooms. The hutch will go between the fireplace and door to the garage.



No comments:

Post a Comment